- quart of beef or chicken stock
- 1 yellow onion, rough chopped
- like… 6 leeks? idk, I had a lot of leeks, sliced
- couple of carrots chopped
- 5-ish garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 can diced tomatoes (I had them in the fridge open already) - otherwise a scoop of tomato paste is great
- red wine. so much wine actually
- 2-3 pounds bone-in short ribs
- a few fresh thyme sprigs
- dried herbs - oregano, thyme, marjoram, kind of whatever you've got in that family
- salt & pepper
- vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Season the short ribs with salt & pepper and sear in a heavy-bottomed pot (like a Dutch oven) on all sides. Set aside.
- Pour in a glug of oil. Sautee leeks, onions, carrots for about 20 min over medium heat in the short ribs drippings. Be careful not to burn the onions or leeks! Turn the heat down if you need to. Season the veg with a little salt & pepper and some of the dried herbs.
- Add the garlic and sautee for about a minute, being careful not to let it burn.
- Add a quart of stock & and a couple of glugs of wine. Simmer ~10 minutes to reduce.
- Add tomatoes or tomato paste and fresh thyme.
- Add short ribs - liquid should almost cover ribs but they should not be fully submerged. Say about 3/4 submerged.
- Cover the pot with tinfoil and the pot lid and cook for about two and a half hours. Check and see if you need to add liquid - water or a mixture of water and wine will do.
- Braise for another couple of hours until the ribs are falling off the bone.
- Serve over grits or egg noodles or something. A nice green salad with a good sharp lemon/other citrus dressing is great with this dish.